Position Openings at
Fort Street Presbyterian Church
Fort Street Presbyterian Church was first organized in 1849 as the Second Presbyterian Church. Our present structure was completed in 1855 and the name was changed to Fort Street Presbyterian Church. Designed by Mr. Albert H. Jordan, it is one of America’s finest examples of the Gothic Revival architecture of that period. The building is now a National & State Historic Site.
The sanctuary seats 1,200. Dotted about the stone floor are decorative tiles representing the designs of ecclesiastical crosses. These were some of the early works of Mary Chase Stratton, who became world-famous for her iridescent glazes and Pewabic tiles. The great span of the roof is supported by hammer-beams and is exceeded in width of span only by London’s Westminster Hall. The organ was built by Wangerin-Weickhardt in 1914. It contains four manuals and 3,253 pipes, ranging in length from 16 feet to a quarter-inch. The soaring design of the sanctuary provides ideal acoustical conditions for the organ. Two memorials stand at the front of the church: A baptismal font of Caen stone, Mexican onyx, carved walnut and brass (1887), and a solid brass lectern in the shape of an eagle, which was on exhibit in 1893 at the World’s Fair in Chicago.
During World War II, the gymnasium was equipped as a dormitory for servicemen arriving at Union Station, then across the street, and 60,000 men made use of it. Since 1969, the gym has housed programs for the homeless, providing food, medical care and clothing to several hundred people every week.